Friday, September 18, 2009

Night Time

At bedtime we have a routine we follow each night. Aerya goes into the bath at around 6:45pm and she and Daddy play for about 45 minutes. It's a very noisy, wet and imaginative time. They have these cute make believe stories that they tell with her bath toys. Right now, the story is about Woody and Buzz Lightyear rescuing the princesses and taking them back to their respective castles. The story is told EXACTLY the same each night - and Aerya does not tolerate any changes! There's a lot of splashing and silly voices and it's so cute to hear.

If Aerya has a bath, she then gets 5 books read to her. She goes into her room to pick them out and I can usually predict which ones they'll be. Despite having about 100 books in her room, there's a core of 6 that she loves to read. While I'm reading her books, Derek is making her snack. It's an adorable vegetable man!

After the books and snack, it's getting closse to 8, and Aerya and I snuggle down and I rub her back and belly for a little while as she falls asleep. She either goes right to sleep in 2 minutes or so, or she just sits up and says she is not sleeping. It's wierd, but when she says that she's not tired enough, she absolutely never falls asleep, no matter what we do. We've tried everything and have learned that she is serious - she cannot fall asleep. This usually only happens if she's had a nap during the day, so it's only every couple of weeks.

If she's not sleeping, I'll take her downstairs and she watches Gummy Bears on TV while I watch my shows. Usually by 11 she's asleep in my lap on the couch - or we're both asleep! Derek found us on the couch the other morning and took this shot. I don't know how we both didn't end up on the floor!

1 comment:

  1. Every night when I make that vegetable man, I think back to the little things my dad used to do for me growing up. Things that I alawys took for granted but now I raelly aprpeciate (and miss). I don't make her vegetable man because of this, this is just what I think about.
    I make it because it's something easy I can do that brings a smile to her face, it's a great way to get her eating veggies (not that we worry about that with her), and its another example of how she gets me to see the imgination that can lie in anything, if we choose to see it.

    ReplyDelete